At SVRG, we consider ourselves a family, and that includes the surrounding Silicon Valley area. Every year SVRG partners with local nonprofits to help make our home better place. Our skaters aren't afraid to put a little elbow grease into it, either! We've pulled weeds at a VeggieLution community farm, served Thanksgiving dinners to homeless families, and helped pack school supplies for needy children, just to name a few.
Our Community Service Head, Doc U Mental, has some great events lined up for us. Check 'em out!
2015 Community Service Events
(1) Hammer School Auction, March 28. Our skaters came out and helped staff the event.
(2) HaTikvah House, April 26. Read more about our gardening efforts in this blog post by Mental.
(3) Book Drive for Women in Prison, May. SVRG partnered with Assemblywoman Sally Lieber to lend our support to this program. Together with our friends, family, and fans, SVRG was able to donate over 1,400 books to this important project. Take a moment to read our Vice President, Sasha Degrader's, letter on why this is near and dear to her heart.
(4) Habitat for Humanity, June 20. Over the course of a day, SVRG skaters, officials, and family came out to paint the exterior of a senior citizen's home (and get in a little off skates workout!) While she didn't go for the SVRG color scheme, we have to admit that the house came out looking beautiful. Check out our Facebook album documenting the day.
(5) One Step Closer Therapeutic Riding, Inc. Our adult skaters aren't the only ones who know how to roll up their sleeves. Our juniors washed dogs on June 28 to raise money for the foundation and other animal related charities.
(6) Sacred Heart's "Pack a Back Education Campaign", June. During the month of June, SVRG will be collecting donations of new school supplies (see this list for items needed!) to help prepare children for returning to school in the fall. Email email@example.com to schedule a drop off.
(7) Athena Camps, July 27. A group of our adult and junior skaters broke down what roller derby was all about, and how it's had a positive impact on their lives to a group of campers. Full set of photos can be found on our Facebook page.
(8) Second Harvest Food Bank, Packing, September 16. We will be getting together at the San Jose location to roll up our sleeves and show 'em how derby girls make food packs.
(9) Make 'Em Bleed Blood Drive, October 31. Details on how you can be part of this to be announced as soon as it's finalized! But mark your calendars to join us at Silver Creek Sportsplex and donate some blood!
2013 Community Service Partners & Accomplishments
- One Brick – volunteering for various nonprofits served by this umbrella organization
- Sacred Heart – packing groceries and school supplies
- Veggielution – gardening at this sustainable community farm
- West Valley Community Service – serving Thanksgiving dinners to homeless and low income families since 2010
- Red Cross – holding annual blood drives since 2010
- YWCA Silicon Valley - For over 100 years, the mission of the YWCA Silicon Valley has been to empower women, children, and families, and to eliminate racism, hatred and prejudice.
- Walk a Mile in Her Shoes – directing and cheering on participants in this annual march to promote awareness of sexual violence
- Donated $1,800 bout proceeds back into the community
- League members volunteered 380+ hours
Want to join us in our volunteer efforts?
Email our Community Service Head at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on upcoming events and ways you can be involved.